Wednesday, August 19, 2009

dy-namo

On Saturday, I had the pleasure of going to another Jason Mraz show in T-dot, with one of my very good friends.

Jason Mraz was joined by K'naan, (a hometown Toronto musician), G.Love and Special Sauce, and Bushwalla, who hosted the evening. To say that the evening was amazing doesn't really begin to sum it up. All of the musicians were solid in their own right. But what was even cooler was the atmosphere that Jason & co. created, which was one of community. Interesting how that can happen in a big venue, I suppose its about people being willing and open to it. But it was a really enjoyable experience.

I had never heard K'naan, but really enjoyed his set. His stuff reminds me of a fusion of styles, hip-hop, reggae, rap. I liked it. Particularly the song "Wavin Flag". (Here is an acoustic version he did on CBC, earlier this year.) The interview he does with Jian Ghomeshi on the same show, (I think its called Q), is worth checking out as well.

I'm hoping to hear more of his music soon. Apparently they are back in T-dot later this fall. In the meantime, I will have to listen in to all that Youtube and Myspace can offer up.
K'naan's set.

G. Love and Special Sauce were good musicians as well. I didn't really know much of their stuff, but they reminded me a bit of Blues Traveler, particularly with the way the lead singer played his harmonica. Bushwalla was a good choice for host. Hes fun and the friendship and connection that he and Jason Mraz have showed in their interaction. Check out one a video the two of them did called "I Like Freestyle". I also enjoyed his song "Ghettoblaster" which he played for us that night. Funny Guy. Great host.

As musicians...Jason Mraz and his band don't disappoint. I mean seriously, hes this down to earth guy, his music is fun, thoughtful, and lyrically and musically interesting. I like that hes diverse and not confined to any one kind of genre. I hear elements of jazz, reggae, hip hop, and I'm sure other styles. He's got guitars, keyboard, two types of drums and a full horn section! I mean really, how can you go wrong with a horn section? On one song, he almost sounded like he was singing opera, the way that he hit the notes. On another he broke out into a rap, and then had K'naan and G. Love come out on stage to rhyme with him. It was a cool moment, and I enjoyed experiencing it. He played many of the songs I wanted to hear, and even some I was hoping to hear, but didn't expect to, which is always a pleasant suprise. It was an awesome show. The one thing he didn't play, that I was hoping to hear, was his version of The Rainbow Connection. That's a song I grew up with and has a special place in my heart, and I would love to hear him play it live. However, it is all good, just gives me incentive to go see him play again :)

Mraz set.

I enjoy Jason Mraz's music, but also enjoy following his blogs and to hear his perspectives on the world. In my opinion, he creates this inclusive, positive vibe and just generally encourages people to be good human beings in their interactions with with each other and the world. He shares his experiences, but he also brings you along for the ride, encourages you to be better. I like it....maybe you will too.


No comments:

Post a Comment